We’ve all been there before. You need to make a phone call, or you want to pay for something with Apple Pay, and you reach for your phone but you’ve left it in the cupholder again. Not only is it an inconvenience, but now you’re probably hoping nobody’s peeking through your car window at that brand new, shiny iPhone 11 Pro you just bought.
iOS 13 and 14: Shortcuts App
Before 2017, the answer would have been: stop forgetting. But now, with the introduction of the Shortcuts app on every device running iOS, you need not worry.
Open the Shortcuts app on your phone, or re-install it from the App Store.
Automation: Play a sound when you disconnect charging
Good news! No prior scripting experience is required to get this working, so don’t be intimidated by the interface. It is Apple, after all, and simplicity is always in mind.
Unfortunately, automations cannot be shared, so they must be created manually. If this is your first time doing this, no worries, let me walk you through it.
Note: This method will only work if you either charge your phone while driving, or you use Apple CarPlay.
Set up the automation
Once you have opened the Shortcuts app, do the following:
- Tap “Automation” in the bottom navigation
- Press the circular, blue “+” icon in the top-right corner
- Press “Create Personal Automation”
- From the list presented, pick your trigger
- CarPlay? Choose: CarPlay > Disconnects
- Charge your phone in your car? Choose: Charger > Is Disconnected
Configure the actions
You are now presented with the Actions screen, which will let you choose what will occur once the automation is triggered.
- Select “Add Action” button
- Search for “Set Volume” — choose the action
- Modify the volume percentage by tapping the default value and adjusting the slider
- Search / add the “URL” action
- Tap the blue URL field, copy and paste, or manually type this:
- Press the blue, centered “+” icon to add another
- Search / add the “Play Sound” action
- Press the blue play icon in the lower right toolbar to test your automation
- Select “Next” in the upper right corner
- Uncheck the “Ask Before Running” toggle switch at the bottom
- Press “Done” in the top corner to save
And that’s it! Your phone will now play a sound every time you disconnect your phone from your car. No more forgetting your phone… we hope.
Change the sound effect
If you would like to use a different sound, replace
sms-received6.caf with one of the choices here.
July 28, 2020: There was an update made to this article mentioning to uncheck the “Ask Before Running” toggle for the automation.